September Update: Back into the Terrain Trenches!

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone, but I've got some good progress to report!

As was promised quite a while ago, I finally settled on a method for making Normandy bocage that I'm really happy with. A lot of the time, I see hedges as waist-high decorations, but the bocage of the Normandy campaigns were truly formidable obstacles. I've modeled these as having a dirt berm a bit taller than the mini, and then having the foliage extend an inch(ish) higher.

These bits of bocage are in about 1 1/2 foot segments and designed as scatter terrain for a Normandy table that I am building up slowly. I took some photos on a smaller piece of board I am using as a mini-photo set. Enjoy some of the bocage pictures, and let me know what you think!





Terrain Experiments!

After finishing the bocage, I was looking for another mini-project to work on while I waited on some bits for the final display board to arrive. Walking around Hobby Lobby one day, I noticed they sold a 1x1 1/2 foot section of the faux fur used in those mats I've been seeing everywhere. It was only $3, so I decided why not, and to do a little experiment with the fur. 

I trimmed most of it with regular scissors and then set in with some spray paints I had laying about. I used ochre, ivy green, and a hunter green. After getting some patches down, I blended them with the comb, and the set to work on using some acrylics. I used every green I had laying around, some yellows, a khaki, and some flesh tones, as well. It really doesn't matter exactly what you use, because the more varied the colors are, the more realistic the look. After more comb blending, I let the fur dry overnight. Afterwards, I came back through with the comb and combed the fur out nice and smooth. From there it's really easy to ruffle it up with your hands to get a nice long grass result. For 30 minutes of work I think the result was absolutely worth it. When I start in on building a real 6x4, I will definitely use faux fur as my grass. 


As you can see, when viewed from really close up, it looks ultra-realistic, and no piece of fur looks the same - just like a real grassland. I love the look, and decided I had to have some pictures with my minis. Enjoy the result, and crank out some faux fur of your own. It's an amazing result, and requires almost no time at all!





Previews!

Even though I mostly stick to historicals, Killteam has been going insane at my local shop and I've decided to paint up some Black Legion Chaos Space Marines. Look forward to those soon!


With Halloween not too far off, I'm thinking about making some homemade decorations this year...If they turn out any good, I'll make sure to bring you guys an overview of some easy halloween decorations on the cheap!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobby -- Week 3/7-3/12

Hobby - Week of 3/29-4/3

Welcome to Divisonal Maintenance Company!