Hobby - Week of 3/29-4/3

 Not a lot to talk about but one major change to the hobby organizational space is my new light. 


After I reorganized my hobby space, I very quickly realized that the light in the new corner was very poor. I had to sort that out immediately. After a few weeks of pondering whether to get big studio lights, cheap ikea lamps, or something in between, I settled on the Daylight U32500 Triple Bright Lamp, as was recommended by a lot of hobby blogs and videos. It was pretty expensive, but as I've worked with it over the past week or so, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. It has perfect light color, and is really easily adjustable to throw its bright light in a concentrated area or all over the table. It wasn't the cheapest option, but it's worked out quite nicely, and more importantly allowed me to get back to actually painting after what felt like an eternity's break organizing, building shelves, and deciding on lighting fixtures.


After hearing about the remaster of the original Rome Total War, my insane passion for the Roman period has ignited once more, driving me into a complete frenzy. Thus, I dusted off the Victrix Romans that I bought so long ago and began actually painting. I finished the command group of one Vexilifer, one Cornicen, an Optio, and an Auxiliary Centurion. 

The system I decided on is Infamy, Infamy by TooFatLardies. It incorporates a lot that I love in modern games like Bolt Action, namely random activations, random turn lengths, etc. I feel that especially on an ancient battlefield where there's no radios, it should feel chaotic and confusing, and that's exactly what this ruleset offers, in a nice size - bigger than a small skirmish, smaller than mass battle. This is a perfect size to start off, as it's not too intimidating to paint up ~50 miniatures for an army, like it would be to paint up gobs of troops for something like Hail, Caesar. Admittedly, I could shorten the painting time by going down to 10 or 15 mil scale, but Victrix's 28mm Romans are the absolute best kits I've ever seen, with plenty of detail, good poses, lots of bits for kitbashing, great quality plastic, and a pretty great price point.

For Infamy, Infamy, Roman troops come in the standard size of 8-men -- a single Contubernium. Victrix's auxilia come in a pack of 24 figures, with 4 command. This means that you can form 2 units, and full command. However, this does mean you're left with annoying minis left over that can't form a full group. For those guys, I gave them wolf pelts and carrying barbarian severed heads as a form of Exploratores. I know the auxilia with wolf pelts is a Dacian War thing, but I thought it a neat way to seperate them from the rest of the auxilia.

That's all for this week. Hopefully going to finish those guys and move on to the Legionaries next, but we'll see where my fickle heart takes me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobby -- Week 3/7-3/12

September Update: Back into the Terrain Trenches!